Author Topic: Mission Discussion: Off the Hooke  (Read 2151 times)

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
Mission Discussion: Off the Hooke
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:50 am »

I realise that I'm mixing my TV references between the topic title and the picture, but the idea is still quite simple: the upcoming mission will involve Kepler Station playing host to a scientific convention.  The idea of a KeplerCon '87 sort of event has been bandied about occasionally but now that we have this brand new station, with so many empty rooms, it seemed like the perfect time.

What we need though are participants.  Applications would be open to anyone with suitable funding and resources to put together a display and get it to the Expanse at the appropriate time.  Other than that, the convention is your oyster.  You're not even bound to your own characters if you have a proposal for an NPC would could be of interest either as a spotlighted guest or someone we just see as our PCs/PNPCs mingle about.

I've talked to one or two of you about this already, but Linsey suggested giving you all some warning so you could put your thinking caps on, so that's what I'm doing.  Feel free to fire off some ideas for us to work on collectively or, if you want to run with the idea yourself, just to make sure we're not doubling up (unless intended, since that was another of Linsey's great ideas I want to develop).

Not sure what ideas might be viable?  Well think about what makes a research or development project worth any effort today and apply those questions//requirements to the world of 2387.  As we've mentioned countless times in the past, Sector 1757 is full of unique properties and subspace degradation; so, maybe you're growing space tomatoes and want to know how they would react in this region of space?  Or you've been attacked by one too many holograms on the old station so you've invented an anti-photon spray.  They don't all need to be great ideas, there are still people like Harcourt Fenton Mudd out there to make a quick slip on the next gimmick.

Offline Kesari Lor

• "The woman who seemed to hold within her heart the dark abyss of eons devoured."
  • Command Team
  • "Understanding is joyous."
    • Tumblr
Re: Weird Science!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:06 am »
Are you sure you want to do that?

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
Re: Weird Science!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:16 am »
:laugh:

Don't make Fernando break out the psedo-science.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
Mission Discussion: Off the Hooke
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:07 am »

This has become our official next mission and is named after English natural philosopher, architect and polymath, Robert Hooke.  I really want everyone to feel involved in this mission so give me ideas for scientists/doctors/engineers you'd like to play as guests/lecturers/visitors and we'll start planning some events.  Obviously we don't need to see everything that's happening but I thought it might be fun to nerd out a bit with some 24th century ideas.  Don't like how vague Star Trek is about something?  Come up with a solution and we'll feature it.  Discussions on birth control come to mind but there are lots of things that happened post-TOS which have been issues for us in the past and could easily be modernised IC, just put your thinking caps on.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:42:29 am by John Reynolds »

Offline Hideyoshi Shimura

• o/` It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time!
  • Kepler Member
    • Facebook
Re: Mission Discussion: Off the Hooke
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:34:56 am »
Good news! 

I have access to Google docs at work for the time being. I imagine this makes it easier to JP with most of you.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:10 pm »
Sweet.  I don't know how many people are working on ideas at the moment, I was hoping we would do some brainstorming here so that everyone can be involved.  The posts to wrap up Take it or Leavitt are nearly finished which means this mission will be kicking off soon.  In character we'll pick up from Saturday the 29th of August.

• Kepler Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »
Alex and I are working on a post that can go wherever, but I imagine it's for the new mission.

We discussed some of the OU stuff to accomplish this mission, but I'm not sure any of my characters will be useful for the Expo.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:55 pm »
Even just looking around the Expo should provide some writing opportunities for most characters, but if anyone wants to work on an NPC who is presenting something then let me know and we'll come up with an idea or two.

We discussed some of the OU stuff to accomplish this mission

Did you want to write Hide receiving his conflicting orders, or should we just jump into the job itself?

• Kepler Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:49:09 pm »
We can post receiving them.

I can run an NPC assistant or something, but I'm not going to try committing to a scientist lol.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:03:10 pm »
I'll try to figure out a starter for it unless you want to set something up with Hide somewhere public where they can meet?

• Kepler Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
Hide is having lunch with Rexus at the Replimat on MD1. They can catch him there to talk to him.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:52 am »
My sisters and I took a day trip to Queenstown to pick our mother up from the airport and have lunch with our grandparents.  Woke up at 8:30 (which most of you will know is stupidly early for me) and didn't get home until 7pm.  It was bloody hot too!  Basically a write off for Kepler stuff but I did start the JP Fest to celebrate Kepler's Birthday.  I would say she looks good for her age, but we all know she recently had work done.

We also have our first Quantum Leap post thanks to Heather.  Which reminds me, if anyone wants special signatures made for the occasion, let me know and I'll try and whip something up.  They'll require us being able to find an age appropriate image of the avatar, so some may be trickier than others.

Offline Rexus Spokar

• Kepler Member
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »
Sorry. Been busy this weekend with all sorts. Friends and family in town. Just bought a new car after several terrible, sleezy car dealer experiences. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow, but I'll be back to get tags immediately after. I promise.

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:32 pm »
Good luck with all those little people hopped up on sugar terrorising you! :eep:

Offline Rexus Spokar

• Kepler Member
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
They can get wild. Ice cream cakes for everyone! The kids were more than happy.