Author Topic: Schrodinger's Station  (Read 12807 times)

Offline sero

• Ghost Of CO's Past
  • Administrator
  • Ascended Being
    • Erica Conroy - Ebook Author
Schrodinger's Station
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »
| Commodore's Ready Room
| Kepler Station
| 0107, MD6

Commodore Gregory Blake, the Station Commander of Kepler Station, closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair.  He loosely held onto a glass which held a few sips of Scotch.  It was his second since he'd arrived in his ready room, unable to sleep, not even an hour ago.

The station was blissfully quiet since Rear Admiral Bassenthwaite had left on the Lakota.  He had been avoiding her for most of her visit and she had obliged him by not seeking him out, too often.  There was something there that rubbed them both the wrong way and Gregory didn't want to be the one to make the first stupid move.  The woman was known for ending careers and she had only just properly restored his, he wasn't about to let her take it back.  Distance perhaps, would make their professional relationship easier.  A thought that made him snort before he took another sip from the glass.

"Yeah right," he muttered in the dark.

| 0111, MD6

Gregory's eyes snapped open when the computer loudly informed him of the last thing he expected to hear from it.

=/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN FIVE MINUTES! =/\=

"What the fuck!?" Gregory exclaimed as his eyes snapped open.  He was on his feet not even a second later and burst into the command centre of the station.  "What's going on?" he demanded of the two personnel who were on duty.

One Petty Officer looked at him wide eyed and useless so Gregory focused his attention on the other, she seemed to know how to keep working during a crisis.  "Well?" he prompted.

"Self destruct has been initiated, sir," she said as she hurriedly checked the information that flooded her console.

"Tell me something I don't know," said Gregory as he moved to hover over her shoulder.

"Apparently it was initiated by yourself and Lieutenant Harris," she said and stared up at him.

"Not unless I can do it in my sleep," he told her and leaned over to deactivate the sequence.  It was however locked in and nothing he could do was going to change it.  "Check with engineering, see if they know anything."

Gregory snapped his fingers at the wide-eyed young man who had almost pulled himself together.  "Issue orders to evacuate the station then contact the OICs of Tribulation and Harbinger and order them back to pick up the escape pods."

"Then c-can we evacuate?" the man asked.

"You'll evacuate when I tell you to and not a minute before, Petty Officer," Gregory snapped at him.

"Aye sir," he swallowed and got to work following out his orders.

=/\= ATTENTION: All personnel and civilians are to abandon the station.  Escape pods are located on decks 5, 6, 8, 12, 18 and 28 of all modules.  Repeat, everyone to abandon the station.  This is not a drill! =/\=
Retired
Former CO Gregory Blake

Jennifer

Re: Schrodinger's Station
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:42 pm »
MD6

Van was sleeping heavily from yet another round with Eva, the human pretzel, when suddenly alarms started blaring from everywhere. He shot up in bed and promptly fell off. "You need a bigger bed!" he roared. "What are those alarms?"

"Well you can tell my brother that," Eva said primly as she climbed out of bed.  She cocked her head to one side and listened to the alarms he had mentioned and her eyes widened.  "Get up.  We have to find escape pods.  Timing, I have it," she said and tossed his clothes to him.

"Tell your brother...I'll tell your brother something..." he muttered under his breath as he caught his clothes from her and put them on. He found his boots and put them on, as well. "Ok, where do we go?" he asked, better now that he was more awake.

Eva slipped her dress on over her head and pulled it down her body.  She didn't even bother to give the man who permanently lived on the station an exasperated look, it wasn't in her nature.  Instead she calmly listened to the instructions that were being repeated over the public comm system and said, "Deck 5 seem to be the closest.  Might want to run though.  Tag, you're it!" she said as she slapped his arse and ran laughing, out the door.

Van started running after Eva, contemplating her as he ran. She was hot, true. Good in bed, true. Fun to be around, not clingy and, it bore repeating, good in bed. Check, check, check. He was pretty sure, though, from close observation, that she was certifiably nuts. Watching her as they ran, Van grinned, still feeling her hand on his rear.

She hadn't wasted time putting on underwear but had snagged her sandals on her way out.  They could go on her feet once she was safely ensconced in a jettisoned escape pod, until then she was sprinting barefoot along the path in the arboretum.  Van was close on her heels and she once again appreciated his athletic body.  They halted at the turbolift and met up with two others who had been wandering around on this level when disaster had struck.  Neither of them were Gregory though.  No doubt her brother would be in the thick of whatever it was, trying to sort it all out.  Hopefully not the cause of it, she worried to herself.

The turbolift arrived seconds later and soon whisked them off to Deck 5 where all four of them squished themselves into an escape pod that might not have been meant for that many.  "I always liked playing sardines as a child," she murmured into Van's ear while she half sat on his lap.  "It seems to be just as fun when you're an adult."

Van just pulled her all the way onto his lap so the other two could have more room. "This isn't supposed to be fun," he said, not at all sarcastically, but informationally, just in case she didn't know.

"I know," she told him and smiled at the couple in the pod with them.  "I'm not stupid.  Just not yet awake and still a little drunk.  You might want to remind a certain body part of yours as well."

He grinned and shrugged. "Can't tell him anything, babe. He only responds to stimuli and right now he's into some heavenly stimuli."

Eva rolled her eyes, not that he could see the action.  Suddenly she sat upright and exclaimed, "Crap.  I left my padd in the tree.  Grrr."

"Isn't your stuff stored in a main data bank somewhere?" he asked. "I'd go get it for you but I don't think I'd have enough time to get back." He wondered how much time had elapsed.

"My work is confidential," Eva explained just as the escape pod was released and shot away from the station.  "Poop," she said and pouted.

"Well, excuse me for asking," he said, wondering why he'd even thought to risk his life for her stupid PADD. He smiled apologetically to the other couple.

"You're excused," she told him and dropped her sandals onto the ground floor.  Eva pushed her blonde frizzy hair away from her face, rearranged her dress about her knees and then stuck her hand out to introduce herself to their fellow podmates.  "Hi, I'm Eva and this is... um... what was your name again?"

He rolled his eyes at her and refrained from reminding her that she'd been yelling it all evening. "Van, how do you do." He nodded to the man and woman who looked just as disheveled as they did.

The sooner they were rescued the better...

JP brought to you compliments of:

Commodore Gregory Blake
Commanding Officer
Kepler Station

and

Deedra

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:36:18 am »
| MD6, 0111
| Bunk room, USS Harbinger

A few hours ago, Julia had been ecstatic.

Now she was merely unconscious.

It all had started less than a week ago. It still amazed Julia that she had been on Kepler station for barely a week, considering everything that had happened to her. She had been thrown across the fighter bay, possibly identified the largest known naturally occurring source of chronitons ever discovered and made a friend while eating in a tree house. And doing all of it while literally tens of thousands of light years from her home back in Osage Beach, Missouri.

And now she was headed out on a starship that was going to be performing her science mission!

Not that it was actually Julia's science mission, per se. The general idea hand been hers, and she had a big hand in the design phase of the probes. During the construction phase...and during the construction phase...well, Julia had been politely asked by the noncommissioned officers and enlisted personnel involved in the construction phrase that didn't she have something else she could be doing? Oh, and cadet, there are several decaffeinated brands of coffee that the replicator is programmed to make, that are just as tasty as the real thing.

In the deployment phase, she was instructed that she was just "along for the ride", to watch and learn. Which was all fine and dandy, as far as Julia was concerned. Because the 'skimmers' and 'shooters' that were going to be deployed were her idea, after all. This was going to be a fantastic trip!

It had all started a few days ago, when she had been tossed across the fighter bay and taken a trip to sick bay to be treated by the interesting doctor. Once she had regained enough consciousness to make some semi-lucid deductions, Julia realized that the sensors in the fighters she had been checking had all been fried by a large dose of chronitons...though they were chronitons with some very unusual qualities! After a night of dining with her new friend at the tree house (and a subsequent shopping spree!), Julia had spent some time in her quarters trying to figure out how exactly to probe something (in this case, the comet that had caused so many problems on the station a month before she had arrived) that would burn out your sensors before you could get close to it.

Deciding that there wasn't a high tech answer to it, Julia decided to go low tech. Hence, the 'skimmers' and the 'shooters.'

The skimmers were basically bricks of different materials, with solar sails attached. A specially tuned laser fired from the Harbinger (not phaser mind you, but laser) into the solar sails would accelerate the skimmers until they got within range of the comet's 'no-fly' zone (when it would drain the power and fry the sensors of anything that got within a range of one particular side of the rotating comet). The skimmers would pass near the comet on a perpendicular course, and the Harbinger would swing around and pick them up on the other side of the comet's "no fly" zone. From there, the Harbinger would try to deduce the properties of the comet (and the chroniton source on one side of it) by what changes had been made to the atomic structure of the skimmers.

The shooters were actually an idea that Julia lifted from the early days of humanity's entry into space. An old space agency on Earth called NASA had once had a mission called "Deep Impact", wherein they actually slammed a probe into a comet designated Tempel 1. The shooters were basically explosive warheads (primitive ones at that) that would slam into the comet, sending up sprays of dust that the spectrometers and other passive sensors on the Harbinger would try to analyze.

It was really very exciting, Julia thought. Just like some type of holographic reproduction of the early days of space exploration. As excited as Julia was, she thought she wouldn't be able to sleep for the entire length of the trip to the comet and back. The Harbinger hadn't left, however, until about an hour and a half into her usual sleep cycle. Within fifteen minutes of departure, Julia found herself yawning. It had been gently suggested that perhaps the cadet might want to catch some "Zzzzz's" in the bunk room, so that she could start on her training  "bright and early" on the Alpha shift. With a grateful smile, Julia headed to the Harbinger's bunk room and was soon fast asleep.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:13:30 pm by Julia Holzwarth »

Johnny

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
| Marine Flight Deck
| Kepler Station
| 0111, MD6

It took the second repeat of the announcement before Lieutenant Ivanova's mind grasped its meaning.  As soon as she did, however, she was moving, tossing blankets off, reaching for her combadge.  "Ivanova to Marine Ops," she called.  "Launch alert fighters."  She heard the acknowledgment as she crossed the room.  She shoved her feet into her boots, and tapped her combadge again.  "Ivanova to Gunnery Sergeant Ling."

Ling hadn't been sleeping when the alert went off.  He'd leaped up from the chair where he'd been reading an article about an experimental fighter that would come on line in the next year.  He was already running toward Marine Ops, thinking only of what he should do as he reached there, when the Lieutenant commed him. 

"Ling here, Ma'am.  On my way to Ops," he informed her briskly.

"Gunny, muster all squadron not infolfed in launch fighters.  Put crue in SAR bird, load the Blackhauk."  The Blackhawk class runabout was a leftover from the mud-marines that had recently left the station, but technically, it still belonged to the Marine Corps, which in this instance meant that it was a resource for Ivanova to use.  "No.  Belay that.  Put pilot on Blackhauk, but retain for flight deck crue.  Find anyone rated to fly vorkbees, and launch them.  Get rest of squadron personnel in pods and launch.  I vant you on Blackhauk.  Hold until all fighters launched, then you launch."

"Yes, Ma'am, will do.  Reaching Flight Ops now, estimate 2 plus minutes to get everything launched," Gunny responded, racing through the door.

"Begging your pardon, Ma'am, but what about you?  Does the Blackhawk wait for you?  You want me to hold a fighter for you?"  It never crossed his mind that the Lieutenant wouldn't be somewhere in the thick of things.

Ivanova hesitated in the doorway of her quarters... if the place was really about to explode... she turned back, grabbed the antique Soviet fighter pilot's helmet off her desk.  "I am goink flight deck nau," she told Ling through the combadge.  "Haf Ripper hold to vait for me."

"Will do," Ling answered, then realized the Lieutenant was already gone. 

He spotted a milling crowd on the deck and waded in shouting, "Lieutenant's orders! Workbee pilots to the left.  Non-pilot squadron on the right!   Jefferson, get in the Blackhawk and hold for deck crew!" 

He continued until he had everyone organized and in less than his predicted 2 minutes, he had pods, 'bees, fighters, and anything else that would fly leaving the deck, filled with non-essential personnel. 

Looking around, the only ones left on deck were those essential for launching.  "Get those birds out and jump on Blackhawk, people.  Now, now, now!" 

Is This  The End?  JP brought to you by:

1st Lt. Svetlana Ivanova
Marine of the highest quality

and

Offline John Reynolds

• Administrator
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:52:04 pm »
|Living Quarters, Deck 5
|0110 Hours

Sprawled out on top of her covers in nothing but a tank top and shorts, one leg dangling off the bed, Violet Matthews was blissfully unaware that her peaceful slumber was about to be rudely interrupted.  After her shift was over last night she had paid a visit to a couple of friends before actually making it back to her quarters so sleep had come quite easily; almost the moment her head touched the pillow.  Life onboard the Starbase had been an interesting adjustment for the teenager but things were working well lately.  A good routine had been established.  Her job was interesting enough to keep her out of trouble, and she had made a couple of good friends.  Her father might have preferred they didn’t include a playboy doctor almost twice her age and a giant cat, but Violet wasn’t too concerned about that.  So the booming voice over the comm. channel was one of the last things she wanted to hear.  =/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN FIVE MINUTES! =/\=

“Ugh wha!?!”  She sprang upright and looked around the dark room like a zombie searching for lunch.  “You’ve got to be kidding me!”  She muttered once she was finally awake enough to realise what was going on.  Clambering off the bed, her foot snagged on the covers and she went for a swan dive off.  “Computer, lights!”  Violet said as she rubbed the back of her head.  Scooping herself up off the ground she looked around frantically for Indigo as she got back to her feet.  He wasn’t in his nest which meant he could be anywhere in her quarters.  And five minutes wasn’t much time.  “Indy!  Come on we’ve got to get our buts into gear!”  There was no way she was leaving the Starbase without her little Degosan Twin-tailed Gecko.

No way at all.

=/\= ATTENTION: All personnel and civilians are to abandon the station.  Escape pods are located on decks 5, 6, 8, 12, 18 and 28 of all modules.  Repeat, everyone to abandon the station.  This is not a drill! =/\=

Violet stomped her foot and put her hands on her hips before calling out to the empty room, “Indigo Matthews get your scaly butt here right this instant!”  Of course she hadn’t expected that to work but it was worth a try.  Tearing through her quarters, tossing things this way and that as she went, the teenage waitress practically turned everything upside down before finally spotting a small purple dot of movement in the corner of her living room.  “Gotcha!”  She shouted triumphantly as she dove towards Indigo and scooped him up.  “You little idiot you could’ve been killed!”  She said quietly as she lovingly rubbed under his chin.

As Violet, with Indigo firmly in grasp, made her way out the door and towards the Escape Pods she had no clue just how long she’d actually spent looking for him.  “If we blow up I’m not getting you your favourite bugs for breakfast!”

Brought to you by:

Violet Matthews
Waitress, Treehouse Lounge
Kepler Station

With help from:

Indigo ‘Indy’ Matthews
Degosan Twin-tailed Gecko
Kepler Station

Pip

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
Grayson rubbed his eyes and looked around what were apparently, if his information was right, his quarters. He'd double-checked; having quarters all to himself was more than he'd expected, even if they were small. Small, of course, being a relative term. His own ship Spearhead's entire habitable space wasn't any bigger than this. It would be a pleasant change not to have to dodge anyone's well-meaning questions right away, too, if he slept like he usually did.

Okay, so this whole place was really his. One duffel was not going to go far towards making it feel like home, but oh well.

He looked at the bag he'd dropped on the couch a few hours ago, then sat beside it. Standard issue. Not so bad. Double bed, which... well, he could sleep lengthwise and crosswise if he wanted, he supposed. Station life was looking better and better.

God, he was tired. He'd been up for almost 48 hours, jumping from transport to transport, and of course his duty shift started bright and early at 0700, but there'd been reporting in, and orientation of a sort - Zoey Thomas had given him the briefest tour he could convince her to do. He didn't like wasting people's time and she obviously had better things to do. But now at least he knew where things were without a map, and he also knew the lounge had actual drinkable coffee. That would be important in the morning; there was nothing like five hours' sleep to leave you ready to impress everyone you met. He'd be fine, he'd figure it all out. But not now. In the morning. After sleep.

He still had his boots on, and the travel-creased uniform he'd been in for two days, and there was a real bed just over there... and yet the temptation to just lean back and let go of consciousness was nearly overwhelming. Yeah, he'd wake up sore, but...

=/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN FIVE MINUTES! =/\=

... wait. What?

Oh.

Great. This must be one of those "interesting career experiences" they liked to talk about in deep-space station recruitment briefings.

Sleep was obviously going to have to wait.

This was Deck 5, he couldn't be far. He grabbed the PADD he'd loaded with the station map, shouldered his still-packed duffel, shoved his hair back, and headed out the door at a run.

Jenny

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:49:14 pm »
First Lieutenant Ivanova crossed the flight deck at a run.  She smiled as she saw the bird they'd held for her... it was the one painted in the squadron's "Dress colors," instead of the space black of most of the fighters.  Tail number 106, it was emerald green, with a painted dragon coiling around it.  Corporal Bennet, the Plane Captain, stood beside it.

"Bennet!" Ivanova called, and when the corporal turned toward her, Ivanova threw her antique fighter pilot's helmet at the young woman.  "Get on Blackhauk," she called.  "Carry that!  Don't lose it!  Don't get lost!"

"Yes, ma'am!" the Corporal said, grinning, and ran across the deck.

Ivanova scrambled up the boarding ladder, and kicked it aside.  She hit her combadge.  "Dragon Six to Blackhauk.  Vhen last Marine aboard, launch!"

"Aye, aye, ma'am," came back the response, instantly.  Ivanova kicked the boarding ladder off the side of her fighter, and settled herself, grabbing the helmet from the top of her number one MFD, and pulling it on her head.  She hit the cockpit close control, and sealed her helmet, watching Bennet reach the Blackhawk and board, the door sealing behind her.  Almost before the door sealed, the runabout was moving, vanishing into space outside the bay.

"Ripper!" Ivanova called, activating the coms on her throttle with her thumb.  "Launch!"  There was a double-click of acknowledgment at almost the same moment the black fighter vanished.

"Ivanova to 909 computer!" the lieutenant called.  "Identify any Marine onboard Kepler!"

There was a second's pause and the computer spoke calmly, "First Lieutenant Svetlana Ivanova is on the flight deck.  There are no other Federation Marines aboard Kepler."

Before the computer finished the statement, Ivanova jammed her throttle forward, becoming the last Marine to depart.

Mitchel

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »
|Command Center
|Kepler Station
|0114,MD6

Alex had been walking the corridors doing a spot check of the Jefferies tubes hatches when he heard the self destruct. In a matter of seconds he burst through the doors of the command center. "Sir," he said seeing Greg standing there. "What's going on? Why was the self destruct activated? Do you need me to help you stop it?"

Gregory looked up from the Petty Officer he was conferring with to Alex.  After the man had quickly babbled out a string of questions he said, "Buggered if I know.  We're locked out of the system and abandoning station.  I suggest you do the same."

"Locked out?" Alex said as he walked over pushed the petty officer out of the way so he could get to the console. "Excuse me," he said as an after thought. "How can that be?" He frantically punched away at the console in an attempt to unlock it.

"Sir, half of the escape pods have already jettisoned.  Marine fighters are being deployed along with their rescue shuttle and workbees," the other Petty Officer informed the Commodore.

=/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN TWO MINUTES! =/\=

Gregory looked up as if he could see where the disembodied and dispassionate voice of the computer emanated from.  "You two get ready to go," he ordered.  He put his hand on Alex's shoulder and said, "C'mon, we've gotta go."

"I can get us in sir." Alex said as he kept punching away at the console. He didn't want to let the station go. It was his first chief engineering job, and he wasn't about to let it go like this.

It wasn't a question of if the younger man could or not, it was a question of the safety of those under Gregory's command and the civilians on the station.  "Consider that an order," he said sternly and waved the two Petty Officers over to assist.  "Now."

"But sir," Alex tried to protest, but he knew there was no point. He hesitated a second before following the two enlisted personnel to the nearest escape pod, leaving Gregory behind to make sure everyone made it off the station.

JP Brought to you by

Commadore Blake

and

Rebecca

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »
| MD6, 0111
|Bunk room, USS Harbinger

"I can't, Vinny.  I'm sorry," Ayel said with a straight face, no emotion as she backed away from him.  The look in his eyes was so terribly sad it broke her heart.  Ayel wanted to scream that she wanted him to stay, or wanted to go with him!  She was so happy with him... finally.  For once, she was really happy.  Yet... she couldn't.  

"Ayel, Bellisima, why?" he looked at her, so hurt.  "I've... we went over this.  It's just best to make a clean break.  I'm not good for you, and, I can't leave.  I can't leave my post... and long distance relationships just don't work.  Especially ones that hold you back... and include me.  Vinny, I'm just not made for a relationship."  

After one last look, Ayel turned and walked out of the room, even as he began to speak, she closed the door behind her.  Tears welled in her eyes and she did a good job at holding them in until she entered her quarters.  Ayel proceeded to break down and cry for God only knows how long.

The Security officer woke with a startle, her long hair damp and stuck against her face from her nightmare.  She knew there was more to the dream than the replay of she and Vinny's terrible goodbye, but she was glad she couldn't remember what it was.  Her nightmares were bothering her quite a bit as of late.

She sat up in her bunk and swore to herself.  Afraid to close her eyes again, she rubbed the sleep and tears from her eyes and stood.  Maybe wandering the halls would help keep her mind off of things, or, the deafening silence might just cause her to go crazy.

Either way... she had to get out of the bunk room, leaving the symphony of snores and heavy breathing behind her.  

Pip

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:15:54 pm »
The faint sound of bare feet on the carpet was the only sound Violet made as she sprinted down the corridor towards the escape pods. Indigo was currently clinging to her neck, his tongue tickling her ear occasionally, now that he'd received a stern telling off for holding her up.  Considering they only had three or four minutes left, Violet was surprised by the small number of people heading in the same direction she was. That is until she ran into a rather solid man in medical colours and dropped to the deck.

Then she realized that most were already waiting outside the bank of escape vehicles.  Staring past the mass of officers and civilians as she slowly looked up towards the person she'd ploughed into, Violet become a little more aware of the fact she was barely dressed.  Granted, she wore almost the same style of clothing to the gym, but this was the middle of the night.  "Uh, sorry about that.  I wasn't watching where I was going,"  she said finally when her gaze met his.

"Don't worry about it." The man held out a hand. "C'mon, up - I think there's another pod down this way. We gotta get out of here."

Reaching up to take his hand, Violet felt the tiny gecko feet moving down her neck and shoulder towards her lower arm.  "You're not going anywhere!"  she told Indigo as she picked him up off her arm and placed him back on her shoulder.  "Sorry, he's a little escape artist."

"Well, hold on to him. Unless I miss my guess, things are about to get very interesting. Hate to see him get hurt." The man hauled her to her feet easily, then glanced at the PADD in his other hand. "Let's go. It's just down the hall."

"I certainly don't recommend staying put,"  Violet said with a small smile.  "To the best of my knowledge I can't breathe in space.  And personally I'd rather not find out the hard way that I'm right about that."  It wasn't a very funny joke but she wasn't trying to be funny.  Simply trying to fight back the fear.  It wasn't every day the Starbase you live on was set to explode.  She seriously hoped her father didn't hear about it until she could let him know everything was alright.

"I'd have to say you're probably right." The man looked over his shoulder at her, half-smiling. "I mean, I'm only a medic, it's not like I'd know." He looked ahead and then his whole body tensed to a focused point: "There it is." He sped up to almost a run, which made things interesting, since he still hadn't let go of Violet's hand.

He didn't let go, in fact, until they had both cleared the doorway of the escape pod and half-fallen into two of the seats.

"Still got your lizard?" he asked, that half-smile back again.

"Gecko,"  Violet corrected as she shifted around in her seat to get comfortable.  After tugging the legs of her shorts down a little with her free hand, not that it helped, she reached around carefully until she found Indy clinging to the inside of her tank top just between her shoulder blades.  "Yep, he's still here."  She held him out for the man to see for himself before adding, "By the way, this is Indigo and I'm Violet.  My ten-year-old self thought that was funny."

"Pretty," he commented, watching the creature scoot across her palm. "Violet? I'm Grayson. Petty Officer Third Class, if you care." He shrugged. "Some people do."

"I'm not a Fleeter," she said with a soft laugh, "just a Fleet brat."  Tucking Indigo into the thin strip of material overlapping her shoulder, Violet looked back out into the station.  "When do we launch this thing?  Not that I'm worried or anything, but we do need to be a certain distance before detonation to avoid damaging the pod's hull."

Grayson checked the panel next to his elbow. "I'm gonna give us another thirty seconds for stragglers. Can't leave people behind." He seemed oddly calm, despite the deep shadows under his eyes. It was like he'd done this before, or something. "We'll be okay. I promise."

"Oh I know," she lied.  "I've been woken up in the middle of the night to abandon my new home countless times,"  Violet added sarcastically.  "What about you?  I mean you're all packed, so are you new here or just always prepared for something like this?"

"That was just good luck," Grayson said dryly. "If you can call a self-destruct evac after I've only been on board for seven hours good luck. I never had time to unpack." He snorted. "Or sleep. Or shower, so I'm sorry you're stuck with me."

The panel beeped. "Computer," Grayson said. "Is there anyone on deck 5 in this module?"

"Negative," the computer said pleasantly.

Grayson shot Violet a look. "Guess it's just us, then. Well, hold on." He tapped quickly at the panel; the pod door slid shut and locked down, and the lights dimmed. Grayson watched the readout. "Jettison in three - two - one -"

The pod's tiny engine kicked, and they watched out the viewports as the station receded quickly.

"Well," Grayson said, after a moment. "Just another day at the office, hey?"

"Pretty much,"  Violet replied before laughing and adding, "Dad's going to use this as ammunition for why I shouldn't live alone.  I can hear him now," she continued with a deeper timbre to her voice, "Starbases that explode are exactly why you'd be better off on Earth with your cousins, going to a nice safe college, and most importantly: keeping out of trouble."

"Well, he might have a point. But this way you get to see the galaxy." He leaned on his elbow. "Out the ports of an escape pod. Not ideal. But... nice starfield." He gave her that half-smile again. "Don't think you'd see that at college."

Shifting around so she was now sitting on her knees, Violet peered out the window as well.  "Nope.  Besides, I've told him plenty of times if he's coming out to some godforsaken quadrant then I am too.  So this is really his fault."  Shifting her attention to her companion, the teenager's voice took on a more serious tone.  "Do you think everyone made it out?  Five minutes isn't long!"

He peered out the viewport, then tapped a couple of buttons on his panel. "I'm guessing they will have. That alarm was loud enough to raise the dead, and it looks like most of the pods have been launched. Our deck was clear, anyway." His smile looked, for a moment, just a little strained. "We can't worry about everyone. We can only worry about us." He patted her hand. "And we're all right."

Then he blinked, and seemed to realise something for the first time. "You must be freezing," he said, sounding taken aback.

"Nah, I'm alright,"  Violet replied simply.  "Wasn't as lucky as you, I suppose.  Would've needed a month to pick up all my stuff to bring it with me."  She laughed and then folded her arms in front of her, as she suddenly felt a little self-conscious about being alone with a man in her current state of dress.  "At least I don't have to clean it up now,"  she added with a forced laugh.  While her belongings were mostly of the easily replaceable variety, there were some photographs and things that she wouldn't be able to get back.

Like the only one of her and her mother Lucy.

As if sensing his owner's discomfort, Indigo chose that moment to clamber back out and started scaling her face like he had every right to be there.  "Do you mind?  The grown ups are talking."

"Here," Grayson said gently, as she pried the gecko away, and a folded packet of white fabric landed in her lap: his lab coat, Fleet Medical patch facing out. "That even has a pocket for Indigo. Everything I have is gonna be huge on you, but... hm. Socks?" He held up a pair. "They're reg, not thick, but they're better than nothing. We might be out here awhile and I don't know who's picking us up, or what condition their decking will be in. And I'm not gonna sit here and let you suffer."

With a genuinely amused grin Violet accepted the items of clothing and offered her thanks.  "Lucky I got stuck in a pod with a gentleman,"  she said as she dropped back into her seat and started tugging one of the socks onto her foot.  "What is the plan for this type of event?  Do we follow a preprogrammed course or drift around waiting for pick up?  There probably isn't a ship within less than a day's range of us..."

"Well, the pods have some kind of preset to get us far enough away. I imagine people will probably start clustering in a bit, once we get to a safe distance. I've got our little sensor rig keeping an eye out, though. And if worst comes to worst, I can fly this, after a fashion. And I know we've got plenty of supplies." He looked at her, a little wryly, and dug around in his duffel, coming up with a small plastic box. "And a deck of cards." Seeing her raised eyebrow, he explained: "I've spent a lot of time waiting around at stations in the last couple of months. It helps pass the time, and keeps your mind off things."

"I used to just resort to bugging dad,"  Violet replied with a smirk.  "Probably not as much fun with you though.  No offense."  Rolling up the sleeves of Grayson's lab coat, which was too big for her, she looked at the deck of cards for a moment.  "So do you have any money to play poker?"

Grayson reached into the front pocket of his bag, felt around, and produced a small coin purse. "If you consider Slenvar achiri actual money, yes." He tipped a small pile of thin metal discs out into his hand. "They're worth about a thousandth of a credit each on the exchange. Pretty, though. And useful to carry around, when you really want to forestall the suggestion of a game of strip poker." He glanced up, actual merriment dancing in his eyes, and for a moment it was like they weren't running for their lives in a tin can. "Slenvara are very uninhibited. I'm not."

He tapped the cards into a neat pile, and then began to shuffle. The cards were old, and his movements were practiced. "You split up the achiri, I'll deal."

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

JP by

Violet Matthews
Waitress, Treehouse Lounge
Kepler Station

&
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:40:53 am by Halley Grayson »

Chris

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:43:35 am »
|Aaron’s Quarters
|MD6; 0109

The PADD slid out of his hand as he leaned forward and rubbed the back of his neck with his spare hand. The storage device they had uncovered had given up a treasure trove of information about the Round Table 200 or so years ago. Most of the data was too corrupted to be recovered but a good chunk, including stellar maps, was still there. Unfortunately the computer was still having trouble deciphering the language of the species that made it. Spoken the language was nothing more the hisses and squeaks, but about 58% of it had been translated.

Part of him was grateful for the distraction the storage device provided. After his first encounter with Z’tan a part of him seemed to get a kick in the pants. He was passing his mid twenties, far to old to still be running around with whoever happened to show mild interest. He was content to slowly venture out into the dating world, but then that message came. The Romulan clearly wanted more, but what he wanted didn’t quite match up with what Aaron wanted. Aaron wanted to find an Imzadi, not a sex filled but loveless tryst. It would be hard to go on a date with one person just to good back to his quarters and throw his legs in air for someone else. To top it all off Z’tan was a mastery wrapped in an silent enigma, and Aaron’s life revolved around unraveling mystery. The Romulan would prove hard to stay away from if he wanted to avoid him.

He shook his head and picked up a blank PADD and started to type out his report. Relatively 275 years ago there were 4 main powers in the Round Table. The Skarren were the second smallest but seemed to be rapidly expanding, taking systems located on the border. Several references to battle and enemy and terror were always listed with the Skarren, indicating they were taking territory by force and were possibly at war with one or more power.

He leaned back in his couch and took a drink from the glass of water that was on the table. He could finish this in the morning. It was gods knows how late now, he needed sleep.

“Computer, what is the time?”

His eyes widened as he choked slightly on the drink he just took. “Computer, all I wanted was the time!”

The lights in his room shifted to red as a klaxon sounded.

He practically jumped off the couch before he slipped on his shoes. He grabbed the phaser in his drawer, after all self destruct was often used when an enemy had entrenched itself and little hope of repelling them remained, and bloated out the door.

|Main Science Lab

=/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN TWO MINUTES! =/\=

Aaron bolted into the lab; nearly out of breath. He franticly looked for the data storage device before finding it hooked up to the computer. He yanked out the cables and tucked the box under his arm. It was bad enough they were going to loose the decade worth of research that sat unopened in the cargo bays, he wasn’t going to let this blow up.

He turned and ran back out the door, running face first to Kaya.

She regarded him with wide eyes. “The officers quarters are more then 10 decks above here. What the hell are you doing?”

“I’ll tell you when we aren’t in the middle of blowing up.” He grabbed her arm and dragged her down the corridor.

A few sounds later the two ducked into the first pod they came across. The door sealed behind them, despite there being very few people in the pod.

“Looks like most of the station is already gone.” He mumbled as he strapped himself in with the emergency harness.

“Hold on.” Said the gold clad petty officer at the controls.

He body jerked to the right as the pod blew out of it’s bay. He glanced out the window as the Regula Starbase grew smaller in the distance. He closed his eyes and leaned his head on the wall as the pod slowed and hung in space near the other pods.

Offline Isis Rae

• Command Team
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »
MD6 0111

The blanket had slid to the end of the bed, making its way toward the floor.  It wasn't quite there yet, but another couple of moves by the bed's inhabitant would guarantee the location by morning.  In one arm, she hugged a pillow and her legs were tangled in the sheet which had been emancipated from the blanket two nights earlier.  Isis was deep in sleep until 0111, exactly.

"Rae to Commodore Blake," she called out through the comm system as she sat up in bed, utterly confused.  The conversation was short and to the point - there was no reason behind the self-destruct announcement, other than that's what the computer wanted at the moment... and Blake couldn't stop it.

Rae wrestled free from bed, grabbing a robe to pull over her silk pajamas.  But, in the dark she couldn't find her shoes.  And in the light, she couldn't find anything.  Isis stumbled through the room, reaching the door without injury.  She was only slightly more awake now as she scurried down the stairs of her quarters and across the arboretum's pathway.

Five minutes wasn't much time, she calculated.  She waited only ten seconds for the turbolift and then opted for the stairs.  Five levels down, she could do it.  Isis was in prime physical condition.  Her bare feet padded softly on the stairs as she took them two and three at a time.  She was at deck four... then deck five and through the doors.  Five minutes didn't seem long enough to evacuate all of Kepler's population she calculated again while the two minute mark was announced and Isis rounded a bend in the corridor.  An organized crowd of people moved towards freedom from untimely termination.

Her breath came fast from her run and the people around her moved in surreal slow motion as she checked around her, making sure everyone was okay.  Mostly, she heard sleepy groans of complaint, but then there was a call for help.

Isis pushed through the quickly thinning crowd.  A young woman, half in the escape hatch seemed to be holding something back while imploringly looking out onto the corridor.  "Please, please," her gaze locked onto Isis as she motioned to her wayward child.  She needed to express her request no further.  The woman was restraining a second child and trying to keep the escape hatch open long enough to wrangle in the first one.

"No!  No, no, no!" the child screamed as Isis chased after him.  She caught up to the little man after a few quick steps.  At four, he wasn't skilled at evasion properly; or at least, not skilled enough to evade an officer trained in security.  Isis scooped him up.

"Come on, tough guy.  Now's not the time to be playing games," she handed him over to the woman.  By this time, her pod was full.  "Don't worry, I'll catch the next one," Isis smiled as the young mother apologized.

The corridor was almost empty now.  Isis turned to the next hatch which was closed and ejected.  Her movement was swift as the computer flashed guide lights to the next available pod.  "Forty-five seconds," the computer announce in an ominous count down.

Isis had her foot through the hatch of one of the remaining pods, when an unnatural motion caught her attention in the corridor.  She ducked in the pod, hitting the control to trigger the pod's release, guaranteeing the civilians wouldn't try to wait for her as she opted to chase after the strange sight.  Besides, forty seconds was a long time...
Lieutenant Commander Isis Rae
Executive Officer
Kepler Station

Offline sero

• Ghost Of CO's Past
  • Administrator
  • Ascended Being
    • Erica Conroy - Ebook Author
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:50 pm »
| Bridge, USS Harbinger
| 0112, MD6

Warrant Officer Valeri sat primly on the command chair.  Her watchful gaze alternated between the enlisted personnel on the bridge with her.  They along with the vile man in engineering, were under her temporary command during this short mission.  Her responsibility was to the ship, her crew and those scientists who they were playing host to.  She did however have her orders and they were to transport the scientists safely to the comet that had been the cause of so much havoc on the home base just over a month ago.

Valeri opened her mouth, ready to admonish the girl at helm for humming again.  However the Petty Officer at the tactical console interrupted her.

"Ma'am, we've an emergency transmission from Kepler," he politely informed her.  "Here it is."

=/\= "This is an emergency!  Kepler Station is set to self destruct.  Evacuation has commenced.  Commodore Blake has ordered Harbinger and Tribulation to return and help with emergency evacuation.  This is not a drill." =/\=

"Shit," Tandy breathed.

Valeri glared at Tandy but could not bring herself to admonish her as although ineloquent, certainly encapsulated the sentiment shared by the three of them.  "Lay in a course Petty Officer," she instead ordered, "we will be returning to Kepler Station at best possible warp."

"Aye aye ma'am," Tandy said and with wide eyes immediately saw to carry it out.

The Officer in Command then turned to Gunter at the Tac console and told him to, "Acknowledge the communication then find the leader of the scientists and quietly inform them of this development.  Then come back here immediately and take us to red alert."

Gunter nodded and quickly responded to Kepler.  He almost bounced across the cramped bridge in anticipation of some action, opened the manual door to the ward room and went off to find the scientist in question.

Valeri leaned back in her chair, her emotions very tightly in check and locked away out of reach.  It was always a grave situation when a vessel or base was forced to such drastic measures.  She just hoped that they would arrive in time to offer the maximum assistance Harbinger was capable of giving.

"ETA is sixteen minutes," Tandy sang out in answer to Valeri's non-verbalised concern.

"Emergency warp," Valeri instructed.  She then rationalised, "It is an emergency, Petty Officer."

Tandy turned and gave the stoic Vulcan a grin of relief, "You got it ma'am.  Warp 8.  Maybe we can get back in time to kick some arse!"

"Maybe," Valeri quietly agreed.  "Maybe."

=

The NPC bridge crew of Harbinger
Retired
Former CO Gregory Blake

Lori

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »
|Sickbay, Deck 25, Module A
|Kepler Station

It was often disputed by her non-medical friends, but Kennedy was living proof a person could sleep standing up if he or she were tired enough. As any intern or resident could attest, sleep was essential to the body's proper functioning.  Any intern or resident would also say (without hesitation or a stutter) pointing out that fact to attendings or instructors in an attempt to get out of marathon shifts would only result in more time to "experiment" with just how long one could function without sleep before one turned into a punch drunk puddle of goo.  

Needless to say, any medical professional worth his or her salt knew how to adapt.  Hence, sleeping standing up was one of the first things a medical cadet learned. In point of fact, someone in the midst of vertical slumber didn't look much different from someone fully awake - which in itself was the beauty of it.  One simply stood facing one's patients with one's eyes partially open (so as not to be confused for full slumber), with preferably a PADD or some other such device in one's hand kept at eye level.  The rest of the body could relax itself at half tension and the mind could simply zone out for awhile.  

Of course, there were tips and tricks to pulling such a thing off, including making sure the medical professional's eyes weren't trained on certain parts of a patient's body during "zone out."  If holding up a tricorder was preferable, it was of course important to make sure the device was turned on, lest the deception be uncovered.  Add to that, it was essential one be close enough to the patient one was supposed to be scanning, or a supervisor might question why said professional seemed more interested in scanning air than the patient.  To avoid the inevitable awkward conversation with the supervisor about a possible transfer to the science department, it also helped to choose a sleeping patient to scan.  

To a medical professional, sleep was more important than sex.  The irony?  There was always someone "getting some" while the medical professionals did without.  Kennedy prided herself on adding the "rock" to the tradional vertical slumber position.  Instead of standing still, Kennedy simply rocked back and forth on her feet.  She recalled actually convincing an instructor she was rocking back and forth (incidentally, a great way to fall asleep standing up) not because she was tired, but because she could hardly contain her nervous energy and was "revved up" to respond to the next medical crisis.  Monroe wasn't entirely sure the instructor was convinced, but the explanation managed to keep the instuctor off her back for a shift or two.  

After serving a full shift in counseling, she'd barely taken a break before reporting to sickbay to serve there.  She loved wearing two hats, but as was often the case, her body and mind couldn't always match pace with her force of will.  So less than a minute after bidding farewell to a young first-time mother who'd brought her two week old in because she thought the little boy was ill, Kennedy found herself sliding into vertical slumber.

=/\= WARNING:  SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED.  KEPLER STATION WILL DESTRUCT IN FIVE MINUTES! =/\=

The alarm scared her so completely she almost lost her balance, and she had to put her hand out in front of her to brace herself on a biobed to keep from falling.  As tired as medical types often were, they became adept at bringing themselves back up to "full power" quicker than most.  The adrenaline shot through her and for what seemed like an eternity, her eyes locked with the young mother and her now-screaming newborn as they stood frozen in the doorway.  Obviously, the alarm had caught them just as they were about to pass over the threshold between sickbay and the corridor outside.

=/\= ATTENTION: All personnel and civilians are to abandon the station.  Escape pods are located on decks 5, 6, 8, 12, 18 and 28 of all modules.  Repeat, everyone to abandon the station.  This is not a drill! =/\=  

Offering a slight nod to the young woman as if to reassure her, Kennedy sprang into action.  She was no longer in Starfleet, but her training came to the fore.  "Everyone grab medkits and as many emergency supplies as you can," Monroe yelled out.  "Yell if you need help getting any of the patients out."

Kennedy ran through the list of patients currently in sickbay before she'd zoned out.  Thankfully, they had no criticals and everyone should be ambulatory.  "We're headed to the escape pods on Deck 28.  I'll lead the way," she called out.  Monroe couldn't remember if she was the senior medical on tonight/this morning, but her heart beat faster as the infant's wails grew louder, compelling her to act.

Grabbing her own medkit, she jogged over to the boy's mother, guiding her out of the way of the door and turned to take one last look behind her.  She lead the way out of sickbay, medical personnell and a few patients tagging behind, the screaming newborn announcing their approach.

Kennedy hadn't realized she had been holding her breath until she exhaled as soon as her backside hit the seat within the escape pod.  A quick scan revealed several of the people she'd led out of sickbay were with her, and she forced herself to recall how the rest had gotten into another nearby.

The young mother and her son were seated next to her, and Monroe noted the young woman was only partially successful at calming the newborn.  She must have sensed Kennedy looking at her because she looked up and offered an apologetic expression.

"Mind if I try?" Kennedy asked.  She was disappointed in herself even as she found herself reaching for the little boy.

The other woman gently handed him over.  "I'll try anything at this point."

Kennedy, despite herself, found herself melting.  The warm bundle in her arms for just a moment transported her elsewhere, a place and time never far from her memory.

"Do you have children of your own, Doctor?" the boy's mother asked.

Her eyes still on the baby, now quieter than before, Kennedy replied in a sing-song voice so as not to frighten the child, "Not anymore."

Monroe inhaled sharply then, realizing for the first time what she'd admitted.  Fortunately, it was at that moment the pod's thrusters kicked in and their attention was drawn elsewhere.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:22:35 pm by Kennedy Monroe »

Offline Isis Rae

• Command Team
  • Ascended Being
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:12 pm »
Simeon Dew was a precocious Bajoran toddler who, until this past week, had been on a hunger strike for no apparent reason other than he wasn't actually hungry.  So, when he began eating everything in sight a week ago, his mother was thrilled and replicated anything he asked for.  This strange menu included such items as pickled boar's feet, corruk juice, grilled cheese sandwiches, huhu, a variety of dishes from Vulcan.  Wax crayons were also added to his diet, but not by his mother.  She tried taking the crayons away, but it was a lot easier to allow Dew to color and eat crayons than living with the little terror who threw wooden blocks at her shins because he didn't have any crayon to color with.

The problem arose on the second day of this new and unusual diet.  Many of the foods Dew discovered in a book by J. I. Sparkle that his babysitter was reading.  The pickled boar's feet and the preserved beets were a bit messy, but Dew ate them, no questions asked, no restraints required.  But the raw eggplant did not agree with his stomach and every other food came up with it.

Twice, Cassi was woken early in the morning to treat the vomiting toddler.  He came in once in the afternoon two days ago, and again last night.  "Don't let him eat the eggplant," she instructed in a firm voice that went in Dew's mother's ear and straight out the other.  Because Dew was eating, she was going to feed him what he wanted.  "But if he can't digest it, he's not actually eating and that is far more harmful than beneficial."

Cassi leaned against the wall of the shower while the shampoo was rinsed from her hair.  Her eyes were closed, already half-asleep.  The shower was necessary before bed though; she wasn't desperate enough for sleep to go to bed with puke-covered feet.

As she began rinsing the conditioner from her hair, a comm came through, "Simeon is back, he's vomiting blood."

"Blood?  You're certain?"  Cassi sputtered through the shower spray.  "I'm on my way."  She was out of the shower and pulling on the clothing nearest to her while the computer made an automated announcement.  "Patty," Cassi called back to sickbay, hopping on one foot as she pulled on a shoe, "is Harris there?  See if he can help you out until I get there.  I'm on my way," she repeated.

Sickbay was already a maze of people trying to evacuate when Patty gathered young Dew into her arms and ran with him to where the CMO was sleeping at his desk and quickly filled him in as they ran for the escape pods.

Cassi left her quarters with a medical kit strapped over her shoulder.  Being one of the first out of her quarters on Deck 5 meant she had quick access to the turbolifts.  She watched the display counting up as she descended towards Sickbay.  "We're ready to launch," Patty announced over the comm.

"Almost there," Cassi answered.  She watched the floor for a moment, waiting for the lift doors to open.  She had two different shoes on, she noticed.  "Tell me where."

Patty directed her to the escape hatch with a minute to spare.  Cassi's sigh was one of relief until Dew puked on her lap.
Lieutenant Commander Isis Rae
Executive Officer
Kepler Station